Frank C. Colcord Memorial Field
Athletic events of every kind have been played on what is now known as Frank C. Colcord Memorial Field, home to the George Fox University men's and women's track and field programs, almost since the the day the institution opened in 1891.
The site was the long-time home of George Fox football, and was officially dedicated as Colcord Field in halftime ceremonies at the homecoming game on Nov. 2, 1968, shortly before the program folded. Field hockey, soccer, and other sporting events, including many of the school's intramural competitions, have been held there.
The renovation and dedication of Colcord Field was a major part of a $2.5 million-plus program from 1976-80 that included construction of the Wheeler Sports Center, adjacent to the field to the east, and extensive upgrades to the softball, baseball, and soccer fields across the street on the north side of Fulton Ave.
A new rubberized surface was installed at Colcord Field in the mid-1980s and was completely replaced in 2002. A surface upgrade was also conducted in 2006.
Colcord Field was named in honor of Frank C. Colcord, a former two-term mayor of Newberg and a 35-year member of the board of trustees of George Fox. He was the school's treasurer at the time of his death in 1967.
A 1920 graduate of what was then Pacific Academy, Colcord was an All-Conference player on a basketball team which twice defeated Oregon Agricultural College, now known as Oregon State University. He also served as student body treasurer, president of the Men's Athletic Association, and associate editor of the student newspaper, The Crescent. In 2001, he was elected to the George Fox Sports Hall of Fame for meritorious service.